Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Canadian Politics

I love Quebec. It's a beautiful province that I've visited many
times. My favourite hockey team's home is in this province. I'm
quite glad that they have not separated from the rest of Canada, and
hope that we remain united indefinitely.

I do, however, have a problem with the Canadian political system,
particularly how it relates to the Bloc Quebecois. Over the past
weekend, and announced yesterday afternoon, the NDP and the Liberals
will be forming a coalition, with the support of the Bloc, to attempt
to wrestle power away from the Conservatives. I will reserve comment
on that, for now. My primary comment is more of a question.

If this coalition somehow unseats the government, and takes over
power, the Bloc will hold the balance of power. The Liberals and the
NDP say they are doing this for the good of the country. How is
handing the balance of power to a separatist party for the good of
Canada? All that Gilles Duceppe talks about is 'the good of Quebec'.
He's more of a provincial premier than the leader of a federal party.
It makes no sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home