Friday, February 29, 2008


My mom's dad, if he was still alive, would have turned 100 today. Feb 29, 2008. It's hard to believe. He died in 1996, and his funeral was on Feb 29th as well. He lived 88 long years on this earth. He wrote his memoirs out, which one of my uncles translated from Dutch. He closes with this:

"All I can say is that I am richly blessed in my old age with children and grand children who do not mind to drop in on their old grandfather and so remember the 5th commandment: "Honor your father and your mother. so that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God will give you".

I am now coming to the end of my story, I have titled this story with the words of Proverbs 30 verse 8: "Give me neither poverty, nor riches, but give me only my daily bread", I have found this to be sufficient in life and want to pass on these words of wisdom to my children and grand children. Fear God for that is the beginning of wisdom, seek first His Kingdom and its righteousness and all these other things will be added unto you, because your Father in heaven knows what you need. I hope, that even though I am far from a professional writer, this writing will give each one of you some idea of what two people, like pake Jelle and beppe Wieke have experienced during their 80 odd years on this earth. As my final word I want to wish each one of you God's richest blessings through your faith in Him all through your life.

November 27, 1990"

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian B said...

i think about this every year too...he had the coolest birtday of the year.

6:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice memories, Dave. Dad would have been careful to remind everyone that it was really only his 25th birthday.
Mom.

6:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave .... love the picture of Pake

cheers,
wendy

10:58 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a great tribute; thanks Dave. I was talking to some of my older clients yesterday telling them "my grandfather would have been one hundred today" - (or... 25) :). I borrowed Pake's book from my Mom, haven't read the whole thing yet, but this kind of gives me a kick in the butt to keep reading. What a great legacy he left for us.

8:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home