Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I need a stress ball on my desk that I can destroy from time to time.

I've never been this busy at work before. It seems that every time I sit down to get going on a project the phone rings with something even more urgent. I know there is room for improvement in my time management skills, and in my productivity - but everyone else in my office, and in my line of work that I know, is swamped. I guess it's a good sign - People are building stuff, the economy is rolling along. But, why does it all have to happen at once? Every day feels like one of those days in university where you had 4 lab reports, and two assignments due, and a couple of midterms bookending it all.

I had a conversation yesterday with a lady from my church about being busy. Being too busy. Is it a societal thing? What drives it? Most families at our church are like most families in the city - running constantly. Dropping off kids at different places. Trying to fit in grocery shopping, and grass cutting (my grass is several inches too tall!), soccer games, music practice, a birthday party, etc. I guess I'm asking why. Why do we take on so much? Are we all a bunch of sadists - getting off on stress? What is it that drives us? Are we unable to say no to something, so that we appear strong in our ability to carry so much? If that's the case, I'd argue that we're really weak - not knowing our limits, not knowing how to look after ourselves.

In that same conversation yesterday with the lady from my church, she mentioned that the year before her oldest daughter graduated from highschool they took a family sabbatical. Whenever they were asked to be on a committee at their kids school, or at church, or wherever, they said 'No, we're taking a year off.' They got used to saying no, and realized that the world didn't end when they did. They had an awesome year as a family, a year of refreshment and looking after each other. It inspired me.

The danger, though, is escapism. Right now, I'd love to just walk out of my office, down the stairs, hop on my bike, and go somewhere for a couple weeks. Everything would still be here when I get back (if I still had a job at that point). Yah, a couple of clients and a few architects would want to kill me (and probably my coworkers who would have to finish my work for me), but would that really do it?

I don't think it would. It wouldn't be wise. It would be temporary. What I'll do is just keep on plugging away, hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter because I'm getting closer to it, and not just because I'm getting used to the darkness.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAVE - we are being connected thru six degrees weirdly. you know joel who is married to melanie - they go to the meeting house in hamilton and are friends with my wife's sister, andria. then, you have a link off your blog to matt bloom - he used to be in a band named 'green light go' that played at a festival i organized back in the day - all the hype in Kingston.
weird man
matty

7:59 p.m.  
Blogger A Horse(wo)man said...

I felt like standing up and yelling "AMEN BROTHER!" after reading that...aptly put.

C

9:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just move to south-east Asia and slow down a bit?

Yeah, this is anonymous.

11:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home