Tuesday, May 02, 2006



teSligte came by last night for dinner and 24. We've been watching season one on DVD the past few weeks (a disc a night). I can't believe Jack dies at the end.
Anyway, at some point in the evening he had to use my bathroom. Upon his return he announced with great satisfaction that "You're part of the fancy toilet paper club". I was all prepared to explain my reasons to him for having three-ply 'satin' type TP, thinking he was mocking me, when he stopped me short. I was preaching to the choir.
A little while ago I did some mental math while standing in the aisle at the grocery store. In my right hand was a soft, lighter than air package of three-ply higher end toilet paper, for around $4. In my left hand was the store brand cheap 2 ply, for about a dollar less. I figured that I could be thrify and save that dollar, as both packages perform the same function. Or, if taken over the long term (8 rolls x 200 sheets per roll @ a conservative 10 sheets per visit) I'd be saving about half a cent per bathroom visit if I went with the cheaper stuff. The savings versus benefit just didn't make sense. Since then, it's been 3-ply all the way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stole a roll of toilet paper from the Korean Embassy in Japan for the very same reasons. Korean toilet paper cannot compete with a soft, fluffy, Japanese roll.

6:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a random reader I just want to say that there is a significant risk of plugging with 3 ply. Sure you can use less but it is, in my experience, still risky business. It is worth about 1 cent a visit for me to cut my plugging risk by, let's estimate, 30%. Even 10%. There is super soft 2 ply that is as good as 3, still slightly higher plug risk compared to public toilet one ply, but not as bad as 3 ply. I'm just saying it's more complicated than just comfort on the butt, comfort overall emotionally is important too when it comes to toilet paper.

4:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave, you surely do know how to incite a rousing discussion. keep up the good work.
Cbass

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

In china we were discouraged from flushing the TP. There was a nice little waste basket next to the toilet in which to deposit the TP. They were also concerned about the plugging risk associated with flushing TP.
I broke the law. It was a small form democratic protest on my part.
While on this topic. I met a guy in China who was ambidextrous with his TP usage. He discovered this when he broke his 'normal' arm and had to improvise.

9:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's anything like this that I "splurge" on, it's also toiletries, particularly shaving needs. But hey, as much as anal comfort is nice, facial comfort (and safety) tops it.

12:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home