Friday, December 09, 2005

election.post.2


Does anyone else think that banning handguns will have any impact on crime in Canada? Since 1934, in order to own a handgun it's been required to be registered. I don't own one, nor do I really want to, and I'm not so much arguing in favour of handgun ownership. I'm arguing against the concept that if handguns are banned in Canada that it will solve the crime problems that seem to be escalating recently, especially in urban centres. I don't have the stats, but my gut tells me that most of these crimes are not committed with registered firearms; on the contrary, they're likely either stolen, or smuggled into this country.
So, will banning handguns make Jane and Finch a safer neighborhood? I highly doubt it. Will a politician win my vote because of this platform? Definitely not. In fact, quite the contrary. It shows that they're trying to capitalize on an issue that most people are ill-informed on. Here's some other peoples thoughts on the issue.

If you want to know how your thinking lines up with the different political parties, here's an intersting 'quiz' you can take.

In terms of a story that has a ton of potential to shape the election, a few bloggers seem to be thinking that this one, dealing with income trust funds, and leaked information from the finance minister, has it all.

So far I've read these guys for my election commentary:

Who do you recommend reading?

3 Comments:

Blogger HCJoel said...

I think handguns should be banned. What purpose do they serve? If you're not a cop, you should not have one nor is it your right to own such a weapon of destruction. It is likely true that most registered gun-owners are not committing crimes with their registered guns. But if they don't own guns, such non-existent guns cannot be stolen and then used to commit crimes. Sort of like automatic weapons. Hunters don't use them. They serve no purpose but to kill. I think the principle I embrace with guns is similar to that of illicit drugs. Some people say they can use them and don't get hurt and don't hurt others. But I know that there are people out there who will hurt themselves and/or other people. Do away with guns/drugs and those risks come down. Decreasing risk is good.

1:47 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

Joel,
I agree with most of what you're saying. I do see no purpose for owning a handgun as well. However, to legally own a handgun in this country, as I've said, is well covered and governed. I concede your point about non-existent registered guns being stolen. That being said, we share a border with a nation that has likely the highest number of handguns per capita, and they do trickle across that border and find their way into the hands of those willing to use them.
So, is this worthy of being an election issue? Not a very big one for me.
Dave.

9:38 a.m.  
Blogger HCJoel said...

It's not a major issue for me. If social programs were improved, the crime rates would likely plummet. That's where I think we need to do more. Come on, Jack Layton!

7:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home