Monday, August 15, 2005

the Psalms

"At the age of 12, I was a fan of David. He felt familiar, like a pop star could feel familiar. The words of the psalms were as poetic as they were religious, and he was a star. Before David could fulfil the prophecy and become the king of Israel, he had to take quite a beating. He was forced into exile and ended up in a cave in some no-name border town facing the collapse of his ego and abandonment by God. But this is where the soap opera got interesting. This is where David was said to have composed his first psalm -- a blues. That's what a lot of the psalms feel like to me, the blues. Man shouting at God -- 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me?' (Psalm 22)."

link
to Bono commenting on the Psalms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home