Monday, July 18, 2005

Bluegrass Hits, Vol 2

... kind of a slow one. One of the great things about my office is that we're allowed to listen to music while we work, as long as it doesn't disturb others. Consequently, I've built up a fairly decent library of tunes on my computer, bringing in cd's from home from time to time for a bit of ripping. I'm certainly not gonna get into downloading at the office though. I did that once at another job and was suspiciously asked 'Just what are you downloading?' 'Lots of music, sir. Why, what did you think?'
Anyway, I engineer little playlists, which I'm slowly burning onto CD for the enjoyment of car rides and such. Making a mix tape is an art, one that I'm not too good at yet. They've been all over the place so far. John Cusack offers some advice in 'High Fidelity', which is a must see. However, I need some practice.
In other news, some days I wish I was a teacher. Those days are typically the months of July and August. They're the best days to be a teacher. Those days, and the ones at the end of December, and that week in March. I'm planning on using one of my 2 (TWO!!) weeks of holidays soon, and I plan on sitting on my ass between a tent and a camp fire, or on a beach, reading some good books, playing some good guitar, and drinking some good beer. I'm looking for recomendations on books to read, so feel free...post a list of your Top 5 novels for summer reading.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nostradamus and/or Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland, these are best read in less than a week.

Crime and Punishment by our pal Fyodor. This one involved taking one's time.

Silence by Shasaku Endo

For the Time Being by Annie Dillard

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

I'll probably read 'silence', since I've only read the intro since you gave it to me. I've read C&P before, as well as Hey Nostradamus!.

1:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blindness - jose saramago. a combination of schindler's list and the matrix meets a theological exploration of the human condition. all about an entire city that goes suddenly blind one day and the societal chaos and revelation of humanity that ensues. a fast read by the author that won the pulitzer prize for literature.

12:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life of Pi

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy if you want a mix of sci-fi and humor

and you could always read the Bible

11:17 p.m.  
Blogger blondel said...

the polysyllabic spree by nick hornby... sure it's just a collection of his essay's from The Believer (on books that he has bought and books that he has read over the course of a month) but, hot damn, are they fun to read.. and if anything else.. they will expand your own reading list.

travelling mercies by anne lammot.

a long way down by nick hornby (okay, so i'm on a little bit of a hornby kick.. you own high fidelity, so i know you like him too)

wild sheep chase by haruki murakami

4:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home