Tuesday, June 28, 2005

HOT HOT HOT!

It's hot outside. Very hot.
Here's a sad irony for you. I work as an HVAC engineer, designing air conditioning systems for buildings. All day long I spend time calculating how large the AC system/ductwork/fans/etc. needs to be for certain buildings, yet at the end of the day, I wander home for a dose of reality and swealter in my apartment.
I'm a bit of a minimalist. In 4th year at university after our place on Colborne St. got broken into (when Todd and I were both home!) I kinda was hoping that they'd come back and finish the job and clean us out. 2 Reasons:
1) We were graduating soon and I hate packing.
2) I was getting sick of having stuff and thought it'd be more practical to have less of it.
So, in many ways, even though I enjoy the simple things in life (a good pint, a new CD, a good book), I haven't surrounded myself with too many things, and I guess I'm comfortable with that. Maybe it's the stage I'm at in life, or because I've seen first hand how people live in less wealthy nations on this planet, but I don't really aspire to own a massive house filled with massive things, and a massive garage with massive toys, and a massive bank account with a massive mortgage and a massive line of credit.
My mom's dad, Pake Dykstra, wrote a 170 page memoir, which I need to read again. He closes it with the following. Perhaps I take after him a bit...

"
I am now coming to the end of my story, I have titled this story with the words of Proverbs 30 verse 8: "Give me neither poverty, nor riches, but give me only my daily bread", I have found this to be sufficient in life and want to pass on these words of wisdom to my children and grand children. Fear God for that is the beginning of wisdom, seek first His Kingdom and its righteousness and all these other things will be added unto you, because your Father in heaven knows what you need. I hope, that even though I am far from a professional writer, this writing will give each one of you some idea of what two people, like pake Jelle and beppe Wieke have experienced during their 80 odd years on this earth. As my final word I want to wish each one of you God's richest blessings through your faith in Him all through your life.

November 27, 1990 Pake Jelle Dykstra
"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you related to lenny dykstra?

7:33 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

Possibly. The furthest back the tree goes is Abe Lamberts Dykstra (1763-1826). I've never seen Lenny at a reunion. There's ton's of Dykstra's out there though. The other side of my family is less numerous. As far as I know, until my identity get's stolen, I'm the only one on this planet with my name.

9:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home