Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Minor Changes

I hosted a small election party last night. My final predictions were off by 35 seats overall. Not bad, but not good. It didn't help that I wrote my Block and NDP predictions in the wrong spots. They're basically the same party anyway, right?

I'm glad we have another minority government. I'm also glad that Dion took a beating and probably won't last too much longer as the leader of the liberals. I'm glad that Harper seems to be a bit more willing to put the partisan politics to the side and work for Canada. I hope this is true. I'm dismayed that the Bloc still has an overwhelming presence in Quebec, and therefore a large presence in the House. I'm also confused at Elizabeth May's decision to run against Peter MacKay in Central Nova. Could she have found a more difficult opponent?

It is my hope that this minority government actually works. It disgusts and disappoints me to see the bickering and party politics that goes on in the House. It seems rare that the parties are actually working for Canada. They tend to have their parties interests first and foremost, and are unwilling to support an idea from another party regardless of how good it may be for the country.

We face some uncertain times as a nation. The world economy is rattled. Yet, we are still one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. How will we use this wealth? Will we look after the poor in our midst? Will we look after the poor in the world? Or will we continue to allow the rich to get richer, at the expense of the poor.

One last thing. Did you vote? If so, great. If not, why not? Yesterday's election had the lowest voter turnout ever, from what I've read in the papers this morning. Your vote matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home