Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What came first?

One of my all time, top five favorite movies has to be 'High Fidelity', staring John Cusack, Jack Black, and many others.
"It's a great film. It's so funny, and violent, and it kicks effing ass!"
Anyway, the opening lines of the movie are Cusack's character, Rob Gordon, talking into the camera, mere moments after his relationship with his live-in girlfriend has ended. He utters the following words:
What came first? The music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns and watching violent videos, we're scared that some sort of culture of violence is taking them over...But nobody worries about kids listening to thousands -- literally thousands -- of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss.
Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable, or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

I have a sadistic friend named Chuck, who once when I was visiting him mere days after a break-up subjected me to song after sappy pop song, laments about failed relationships, and such. I recall a certain Sarah Harmer song about a John Deere tractor or something like that. That was pretty much the straw that nearly caused me to break Chuck's back.
Probably the worst album in the world to listen to, post break-up, is 'Wish', by the Cure. The combination of Robert Smith's vocals, with lyrics like 'A letter to Elise' is almost too much for any human being to take.
Any other nominations?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and if we sell that new john deere then we'll work these crops with sweat and tears. You be the mule I'll be the plow. Come harvest time we'll work it out. There's still alot of love, here in these troubled fields...
I know that song. It's a special song for me and chels. It's not about breaking up, its about fighting through hard times. Once again Chuck proves he don't know shit about love.

Don't listen to sad pop music, listen to good amazing music that reminds you there's more to life than women and then watch lots of movies that girls don;t like to watch.

6:21 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

yah, that's the song. i know it's not about a break-up or anything, but it's the tone of the song that did it.
i've definately been choosing my music a bit differently lately. "I don't want Sad Bastard music, I just want something I can ignore".

8:14 a.m.  
Blogger HCJoel said...

Most of the songs on Denison Witmer's first album can reduce a grown man (who has impeccable taste in music) to tears relatively quickly. On his 'River Bends ' EP, the song 'You Got Me Good' will slay the most hardened of foes.
Another one is 'Farewell' by Rosie Thomas. It's actually about her parents' break-up, if I'm not mistaken. And the piano on the last track of that album, 'Bicycle Tricycle', could be the only instrumental piece of music that would make me weep.
I love 'Letter To Elise' by the Cure. Only, I like Aaron Sprinkle's version best.

Listen to something heavy and you won't feel sad. I suggest 'Reborn Empowered' by Living Sacrifice. You'll get amped in a hurry.

4:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home