Friday, April 29, 2005

IQ 2000

Have you ever done an online IQ test? They're rather interesting, depending on which one you do. A lot of mental spelling of words backwards, and finding patterns in shapes and things like that. I enjoy a challenge. I hadn't done one in a year or so, and was talking to some this week and decided to do one again, to see if I was getting smarter or the opposite. Apparently, to my surprise, I'm getting smarter. Does it really matter if I score 78 on the test, or 137? Knowing a number that someone has derived to somehow measure inteligence doesn't really have any positive affect on my life. In fact, it's made me prideful, since I'm likely smarter that you, the average reader. But, does it really matter if I can pick a word out of a list of words that doesn't belong, or identify which number should be next in a series? I guess what I'm getting at is that what matters is what we do with our brains, and our talents. I could have an IQ of 200 and do nothing with it, or I could have an IQ of 20 and use it to it's full, bringing honour to God, the giver of brains. Jesus talked about a similar concept in one of his parables, the one about the talents.

Solomon said some good things too:
"Fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Only fools despise wisdom and discipline. Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in understanding"

No mention of intelligence quotient there. Just a simple, honest, 'fear' of God; a respect for Him and his instruction, trusting that His instruction and discipline is good, and not despising it. Wisdom. I want to be wise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home