Monday, September 18, 2006

Afghanistan

I'm hoping one of my loyal readers out there can help me out. I'm trying to understand the whole 'Afghanistan War', and Canada's involvement in it, and I find myself underinformed. I'm trying to find answers to the questions "Why are we there?", and "What is the point of our mission there?". And I don't mean that in a frustrated, let's quit, "ahh, what's the point of even trying", I mean, what is the point, the ultimate goal and objective of our military presence in Afghanistan?

Can someone simply explain it to me, or point out a good resource. I think I understand the basics of it, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something.

There is much debate these days, across the media and political spectrum, as to whether Canada should even be involved in this mission, whether we should be withdrawing our troops. Before throwing in my two cents on that one, the way things are presently, I'd like to know a bit more.

We're obviously not there in an entirely peace-keeping role. We're not just working in humanitarian efforts - building schools, infrastructure. We're hunting down and killing the Taliban. We're being shot at, targeted, blown up by suicide bombers (suiciders - as GWB calls them), and even accidentally fired on by our own allies. This is the stuff you see in the media every day. This is what's happening. I want to know why it's happening. Why are we there? Why should I support our troops staying there? Why should I support withdrawing our troops? Do we have achievable goals - or are we fighting some open ended, unwinnable 'War on Terror'? Is there a plan for leaving - when certain goals have been accomplished...

If you know the answers to these questions, or where I can find them, let me know. Thanks. I normally would like to think I'm well-informed, but for some reason I feel like I'm missing something on this issue.

I sincerely hope we're not just in Afghanistan fighting a battle that the Americans started post 9/11, in the search for Osama, and then abandonded so that they could go after Saddam and his oil. I sincerely hope there is more to it than that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have a problem, and you can find them. Maybe you should call the A-team

8:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home