Saturday, April 16, 2005

New Music

In the past 24 hours I've bought two new CD's and got one in the mail. That's 3 new CD's in one day, which definately busts the monthly budget, but that big fat tax return has to go somewhere. Which Cd's did I get, you ask? Well, the first was to assuage the guilt that I was feeling for burning a copy of Me Without You's 'Catch for us the foxes' off of my housemates copy. I walked to the local 'religious' book/cd/trinkets/feelgood store at lunch, which is a few short strides from my office, looking for a book, which they didn't have, but PTL there was the CD sitting in the rack, inviting me to purchase it as penence for my sinful burning. It must have been a sign. Anyway, it's an excellent disc.
The second CD was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home. Starflyer 59, a band that for some reason I continue to enjoy, put out yet another album this week. Me, being the geek I am, pre-ordered it a few weeks ago from the bands website. It too is excellent. The next step in the evolution of the band that is SF59. Jason Martin delivers.
Finally, this morning while chillin at the mall, I picked up a copy of Green Day's latest, American Idiot. I haven't listened to Green Day since highschool. I was talking to a friend of mine last night who was saying that he had read an article about Green Day recently where they were sorta looking back on their career and realizing that they've just put out a bunch if immature crap, with no substance; catchy pop-punk tunes, but no real message other than a message of apathy and boredom. So, they decided to write a more mature album, which this one is. There's political messeges in it, a multi-part song about Jesus of Suburbia, which after a first listen, I think is their take of the figurehead of the new religion of suburbian bored americans. I don't think he wrote it as a slam on JC, and it certainly doesn't come across that way. Using the name of Jesus in a song though certainly gets people's attention. Maybe that's why there was that sticker on the packaging saying something about 'lyrics may be unsuitable for some'.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe they meant Jesus Chavez?

10:09 p.m.  
Blogger Matt McKechnie said...

hey dave, nice blog action. remember when we made kaiser sandwiches and you stuck a maxi pad on your pants? that was awesome. take care bud.

11:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

matt, they were rubens... rubens dammit.

12:47 a.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

matt, you were the one that put maxi pads on your pants. i've got pictures somewhere. they were super absorbant.

6:32 p.m.  
Blogger Chuck said...

frick on a stick. that's me right now.

11:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home