Monday, March 20, 2006

Running from the cops

I was driving on the QEW from Niagara Falls towards Hamilton on Saturday. My sister's birthday was on Friday night and on Saturday morning everyone disbanded and I decided to go for a drive through the countryside with Niagara as my final destination. I hadn't seen the falls in a while and kinda felt like going there. It's remarkable that that town exists, and that people spend lengthy amounts of time there. There's a waterfall there. You visit it, snap some pictures, throw a penny over it, and then leave. Well, at least that's what I did.
After leaving, I decided to take the less scenic route, so as to meet up with HC Joel when I told him I would. As I was driving along the QEW, driving my normal 120, I noticed two OPP cruisers coming up behind me in my rearview mirror. I eased off the gas a bit, brought it down to 110, and they stayed there, about 50 meteres behind me. Then a third showed up. They went into formation, each taking a lane, side by side, and threw on their flashers. At this point I was the only car ahead of them, and because I had slowed to a little over the speed limit, there wasn't any left in front of me for a few hundred meters either.

It's an odd feeling, driving down a three lane highway with three cruisers directly behind you, all lights flashing.

It's even more unnerving when two of them start to slow the rest of the field down, like a pace car at Indy, and one of them continues to follow me, the lone law breaker. The icing on the cake is that all of this is just as I'm about to ascend a rather large bridge over the Welland Canal. I have a pretty vivid imagination, so I'm driving along wondering why they're stopping everyone just before the bridge. Is the bridge is out? Is there a jumper, or really high winds that are gonna toss my little car over the edge?
Finally, the trailing cop begins to slow and appears to stop at the crest of the bridge, which I discovered was fully intact.
I just carry on driving slightly above the speed limit, in the middle lane of three lanes of highway, with no one else around; not even the sounds of the radio (I turned it off to concentrate on why the cops were following me).
This lasted a couple more kilometers and then a few cars trickled onto the highway at the next onramp. I sped up to 120, and turned the radio back on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, shouldn't you be pulling over when there's cops behind you with their lights on?

12:19 p.m.  
Blogger Fungineer said...

by the time they turned on their flashers they were slowing down already, so I was pretty sure they didn't want me. If they wanted to pull me over they would've been right in my mirror.

8:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home